Monday, August 19, 2013

Happy Monday!

I pray that everyone had a safe and relaxing weekend!  

We had a great Monday in school!  Check out what we did today!

We were excited to meet our friend Drew today!


This morning we continued to develop friendships with the other children as we played together.  As the children develop friendships, they are learning positive social skills!  We all know that sometimes friends don't always get along- even in preschool!  Preschool is a great time to learn how to problem solve with friends and practice positive conflict resolution!  Learning to resolve conflict in a positive way is a skill that will benefit the children throughout their lives!

















Blake saw that there were beans on the floor, and he said, "I am going to use the broom to sweep up the beans.  That's easier than picking them up."  Great problem solving Blake!


Today was the first day that we picked our classroom jobs.  Classroom jobs provide an opportunity for the children to take ownership of the classroom! Furthermore classroom jobs provide an opportunity to practice responsibility.  

Calendar helper


Meteorologist


Snack helper


During small group time, we discussed how some words we say can hurt friends, and some words that we say can help friends.  We role played together and each gave an example of words that hurt and words that help.  We discussed how we use words that help in school; we don't want to use words that hurt!  We made two posters with examples of each.  

This activity provides an opportunity to discuss our feelings and how words can affect our feelings.  We focus on feelings in early childhood because learning about feelings can help children identify and express their emotions in a more positive way.  In addition, learning about feelings can help children respond to other's emotions appropriately.  When children can identify other's emotions and respond in an appropriate way, they are able to show God's love!   

Some of the friends helped write some of the letters for the poster!  











We then looked in the mirror and discussed how God made each one of us special.  We shared what we saw in the mirror. We learned that when God made us, He looked at His creation and saw that is was good! We sang, "If I were a butterfly" and "Look at me I'm special you see" to help us remember that God made us special! 

















We then drew a picture of ourselves! 


During Jesus time, we were reminded that God made us each special.  We met our puppet friend Zippy who helped to share God's love with us!  Zippy called each child to the front, one by one, and we shouted "God loves ____!"  We sang "If I were a butterfly" again to thank God for making us who we are!  (I included the words to "If I were a butterfly" below in case you want to sing it at home!)

If I were a butterfly
I'd thank you Lord for giving me wings
If I were a robin in a tree 
I'd thank you Lord that I could sing
If I were a fish in the sea
I'd wiggle my tail and I'd giggle with glee
But I just thank you Father for making me, me
 
CHORUS      
For you gave me a heart and you gave me a smile
You gave me Jesus and you made me your child
And I just thank you Father for making me, me
 
If I were an elephant 
I'd thank you Lord by raising my trunk
If I were a kangaroo
You know I'd hop right up to you
If I were an octopus
I'd thank you Lord for my fine looks
But I just thank you Father for making me, me
 
If I were a wiggly worm
I'd thank you Lord that I could squirm
If I were a fuzzy, wuzzy bear
I'd thank you Lord for my fuzzy, wuzzy hair
If I were a crocodile 
I'd thank you Lord for my great smile
But I just thank you Father for 
making me, me

No comments:

Post a Comment